Friday, August 1, 2014

Featured Report: 2018: 75 million wireless-connected health and fitness devices predicted to ship


Fierce EMR

Patients of EHR-users more likely to withhold information


July,28,2014
by: Marla Durben Hirsch
A provider's use of an electronic health record can cause a patient to clam up for fear that the data won't be secure, according to a new study in the Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA).
The researchers, from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Dartmouth College, noted that EHRs are a "double-edged sword" in that they're perceived as improving the quality of care but also are seen as having privacy and security risks. Using a nationally representative sample from the 2012 Health Information National Trends Survey, they found that 13 percent of respondents reported having withheld information from their provider because of privacy and security concerns. Read More




Physicians Practice 

A Doctor Reflects on the Small Ways Technology has Changed Practice 

July,25,2014
by:Francis V. Adams, MD
I feel naked without my beeper.  I started wearing one when I was still in medical school more than 40 years ago.  I can’t stop my hand from searching my waist for the clip-on that attaches the beeper to my belt but it isn’t there. It should be on my right side so I can quickly grab it out of the holder and check my page. For all of these years I could not get dressed or leave my home without my beeper. In all that time I can only remember forgetting to clip it to my belt once. I was ill with a stomach flu and had a sleepless night, and I rushed out without it.  Once, my beeper stopped working. I called my answering service and they messengered over a new one.
After 20 years with that beeper I called and asked for a new model. Beepers had gotten smaller and I wanted the latest design.When I called my service recently to tell them I would no longer be carrying a beeper they could not even find the record of my being issued one. They did call the next day to say that they wanted it back. I guessed that they just wanted to see what it looked like.  Read More


HealthDataManagement

Top 7 Myths About HIPAA Security Risk Analysis
July,31,2014
by: Staff
The Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights’ pilot program to conduct HIPAA privacy and security audits showed that the top deficiency among audited organizations was the lack of a sufficient risk analysis plan. Coalfire Systems, an IT security advisory, audit and testing services firm, advises avoiding seven common myths about a security risk analysis.





MobiHealthNews

2018: 75 million wireless-connected health and fitness devices predicted to ship
July,31,2014
by: Brian Dolan
By 2018 an estimated 75.7 million consumer health and fitness devices with integrated wireless connectivity will ship, up from 23 million such devices in 2011, according to a recent report from IHS Technology. The research firms points out that Bluetooth Smart-connected devices are the most popular, but devices that make use of the fitness and health-focused ANT standard also have a foothold.
The firm also expects that the semiconductors that provide the wireless connectivity for health and fitness devices will have “solid double-digit growth” this year and over the course of the next few.  Read More




IBM Smarter Healthcare

We are an IBMer,
Wirehead Technology has teamed up with IBM to bring a broad range of business and technology services that deliver real business results and can help connect your business's people, information and systems to create a smarter, more successful enterprise. Proven to work for small and medium businesses, the IBM Collaboration Solutions portfolio delivers robust collaboration software that empowers people to connect, collaborate, and innovate while optimizing the way they work. IBM Collaboration Solutions capabilities help our customers become a social business, one that embraces networks of people to create business value. Check us out at IBM ShowCase




No comments:

Post a Comment